- Folio Society (281), Wishlist (170), Limited Edition (137), Letterpress (132), Signed (121), Limited Editions Club (101), Bella (100), Penguin Little Black Classics (80), History (75), Slightly Foxed (38), Encyclopaedia Britannica (30), Slightly Foxed Quarterly (30), Slightly Foxed Editions (28), LEC Shakespeare (27), Encyclopaedia (27), Penguin Monarchs (23), Ladybird Expert Series (23), Word War II (23), Second World War (23), The Great Courses (22), Modern (21), Antarctica (20), Reference (20), DVD (19), T. E. Lawrence (19), Polar Exploration (18), Literature (17), Audio (17), Churchill (17), Arabia (17), Tolkien (17), Classical History (16), Shakespeare (16), First Edition (16), Oxford University Press (16), Audio Cassette (15), Macmillan Collector’s Library (15), Easton Press (15), Penguin Great Ideas (15), Travel (14), Agatha Christie (13), Churchill Documents (13), Religion (12), Letterpress Shakespeare (12), Kindle (12), British (11), Aubrey–Maturin series (11), Read in 2014 (11), Medieval History (11), LEC Monthly Letter (11), Facsimile (11), BBC Radio Collection (10), Castle Hill Press (10), Leather (10), Folio Press Fine Editions (10), Great Ideas Today (10), HarperCollins Deluxe Edition (9), James Bond (9), Modern Literature (9), Classical Literature (9), Languages (8), Very Short Introductions (8), Ancient Greece (8), Letters (8), Linguaphone (8), Taschen (8), Read in 2015 (8), Britannica Year Book (8), Folio Society Miniature Books (7), Weekendavisen (7), BBC Radio 4 (7), Read in 2017 (7), Thornwillow Press (7), First World War (7), Ancient Greek (7), Bible (6), Read in 2016 (6), Joseph Conrad (6), Cambridge University Press (6), Christianity (6), James Boswell (6), Carey Novels (6), Ronald Welch (6), Biography (6), American (6), Little People Big Dreams (6), Kronecker Wallis (6), Hodder & Stoughton Limited Editions (6), Mortimer J. Adler (6), 1980s Linguaphone (6), Read in 2020 (6), Franklin Library (6), No Reply Press (6), Folio Adventure Series (5), Hatchards (5), Troy (5), Yale Boswell Editions (5), Science (5), Stephen Hawking (5), Music (5), New Naturalist (5), Royal Geographical Society (5), Read in 2018 (5), Read in 2019 (5), Pelican (4), Signature Shakespeare (4), French (4), Magazines (4), Cambridge Library Collection (4), Homer (4), Stephen Leslie (4), Harry Potter (4), Edward A. Wilson (Antarctic) (4), Ancient Rome (4), Outer Space (4), Read in 2021 (3), Edward A. Wilson (Illustrator) (3), Software (3), Tintin (3), Nobel Prize in Literature (3), Dictionary (3), BBC (3), British Museum (3), 1611 (3), Everyman's Library (3), Folio Poets (3), China (3), Vintage Penguin (3), Greek Mythology (3), King James Version (3), Memoirs (3), Penguin Celebrations (3), Poetry (3), Japanese (3), KJV (3), Robert Falcon Scott (2), Diary (2), Founding Fathers (2), Audible (2), Royal Institution (2), Modern History (2), Lynd Ward (2), Grammar (2), Vinyl (2), Kierkegaard (2), TLS (2), Ann Muir (2), Documentary (2), Anthony Trollope (2), United States (2), Tom Gauld (2), Arab Revolt 1916-1918 (2), Roman (2), Spanish (2), Bill Gates Notes (2), Alexander Hamilton (2), Roald Dahl (2), Kickstarter (2), Europe (2), Egyptian (2), Hakluyt Society (2), Ottoman Empire (2), Anthology (2), Prospectus (2), Hemingway Letters (2), Peter Pauper Press (2), Heritage Press (2), BBC Radio Adaptation (2), Thatcher (2), War (2), Law (2), Latin (2), Imprint Society (2), Islam (2), Slightly Foxed Mentions (2), Russet (2), America (2), Public Library (2), Samuel Johnson (2), Hatchards Special Edition (1), Apollo Space Programme (1), Folio Great Battles (1), Dictionary of National Biography (1), 1000 Books to Read Before You Die (1), MeadWestvaco (1), American Revolution (1775-1783) (1), The 100 Greatest Books of All Time (1), Max Hastings (1), BBC Library Crime Classics (1), htly (1), The Great Ideas Program (1), Folio Fine Edition (1), A4 Letter (1), Folio Collectables (1), Folio Society Special Binding (1), 1970s Linguaphone (1), 1950s Linguaphone (1), Read in 2022 (1), The Guardian's 100 Best Novels Written in English (1), Lapham’s Quarterly (1), Century Press (1), Forlaget Vandkunsten (1), London (1), Aquinas Lectures in Philosophy (1), British Library Crime Classics (1), Folio Presentation Volume (1), The Poirot Collection (1), Doubleday & Doran (1), Russian (1), Peter Pauper Press. Wishlist (1), The Bodleian Library (1), Riccardi Press (1), Microsoft (1), Space Law (1), King John (1), Magna Carta (1), Isaac Newton (1), DNB (1), Clarendon Press (1), 11th Edition (1), Lakeside Press (1), Signatures (1), Ernest Hemingway (1), Pompeii (1), England (1), Cold War (1), Nonesuch Press (1), o (1), Christmas (1), CD-ROM (1), Thomas Jefferson (1), Penguin Classics (1), Gladstone (1), Samuel Pepys (1), Confucianism (1), Science Fiction (1), Lincoln (1), Richard Dawkins (1), President (1), British Empire (1), Arctic (1), Loeb Classical Library (1), American Civil War (1), Qur'an (1), JFK (1), Kennedy (1), John Hersey (1), Stephen Fry (1), Japan (1), D-Day (1), Man Booker Prize (1), Normandy (1), Cicero (1), Westvaco (1), Fairy Tales (1), Roman Mythology (1), Penguin (1), English Dictionary (1), Philosophy (1), Capitalism (1), Legal History (1), Mozart (1), National Geographic (1), Rare (1), Oxford Classical Texts (1), War Poetry (1), BBC's Big Read (1), Golden Cockerel Press (1), Encarta (1), Everyman's Library Pocket Poets (1), 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (1), Classical Education (1), Carchemish (1), Paris (1), Persian (1), Farsi (1), Judaism (1), Finance (1), Hobbit (1), Language (1), Mathematics (1), Time (1), Bibliography (1), Autobiography (1), Buddhism (1), Library (1), Economics (1), Hiroshima (1), Discovery (1), Mount Everest (1), Library of America (1), Archaeology (1), English (1), German (1), Lord of the Rings (1), Danish (1)
- Tag-Wolke, Autoren-Wolke, Tag-Spiegel
- 10,000 Page Club, Ancient and Medieval Manuscripts, Ancient History, BBC Radio 4 Listeners, Book Arts, Book Care and Repair, Book Collectors, Bookcases: If You Build/Buy Them, They Will Fill, Books on Books, Challenge: Loeb Classical Library, Council of Elrond, Easton Press Collectors, Encyclopedia Britannica, Everyman's Library, Fine Press Forum, Folio Society Devotees, Franklin Library Collectors, Geeks who love the Classics, George Macy devotees, Inklings, Legacy Libraries, Library of America Subscribers, Lingua Latina, New York Review Books, Oxford English Dictionary - OED, Penguin Books, Rare, Old or Offbeat, Second World War History, Slightly Foxed - An appreciation, T.E. Lawrence, The Literary Lens, The Quiet Life, The Slipcase, Travel and Exploration literature, Very Short Introductions VSI
- Nov 25, 2009
- Bürgerlicher Name
- Über meine Bibliothek
- “Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.” -Socrates
Running List of Books I’ve Read by Year
I live and breath for the English language. My main interests lie on classical literature, history, non-fiction, polar exploration (Antarctica), T.E. Lawrence, and Churchill, but my true aim is achieving a classical education.
I'm a reader first, collector second, though I like to say that to myself. I like hardbacks instead of paperbacks, non-fiction instead of fiction, physical books rather than eBooks, but I do read on a Kindle contemporary books that are popular and which I rather not own.
I try to focus my main collection on:
- The Limited Editions Club (LEC);
- The Folio Society;
- The Franklin Library;
- Slightly Foxed Editions and Quarterly;
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, and related;
- The Great Books of the Western World, including anything by Mortimer Adler;
On Reference Libraries
I believe every gentleman should have a reference library.
"Along time ago, when I had ambitions to start a personal library, a bookish friend told me there were three sets of reference books I had to get hold of. They were the 11th edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, the Oxford English Dictionary, and the Dictionary of National Biography" - Jeremy Paxman, 2009. Guardian
- Oxford English Dictionary (20 Vols.) DONE
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th edition. DONE
- The Dictionary of National Biography (60 Vols.) SHOULD I?
Check out these links:
The Folio Society
Times Literary Supplement
Since 26 December 2012:
- Über mich
- One sentence
I am an armchair traveller, avid book reader, world citizen—a lover of cheesecake.
I like to read books, so never leave home without one (or a Kindle, just in case). I collect books published by The Folio Society. I like the warmth of the sun on an early crisp cool morning, and thus fair badly in colder climates. My life aim is to live on an undisclosed tropical island, while sipping a Virgin Cuba Libra, and listening to the Miami Vice (1980s TV series) theme soundtrack.
I'm 38 and from the first moment I can remember, I have been in pursuit of knowledge and the finer things in life. I am the kind of person that would have cherished to have had a classical education and a foundation in Latin and Greek.
Although, I'm polylingual, English is the language that fills my heart with tremendous emotion.
When I have more time (I keep saying that to myself), I will pick up Latin and Greek at night school; French (for the French girls in stilettos), Ikebana (for peace of mind), Fencing (for the occasional duel), and sailing (so that one day I will be remembered by the youth as: "that crazy old man at the dock was right").
I was born in Denmark, but to my chagrin wherever I go, it seems to follow me (it's always mentioned in news, films, radio, when standing in queue, etc. There's 193 sovereign states in the world! Go figure).
Other than that, I am using most of my time inspiring my fourteen year-old niece, Isabella, whom I've raised since she was an infant into an educated and civilised environment with tuition in various subjects such as languages, history, geography, and art (her second word after mommy was Gauguin; she saw a reproduction of the Mona Lisa at a shop window when she was two, and after daycare would go and watch it every day; learned to spell her name at three, and started learning the Latin names for bones in the body at four. At five, she learned about Greek Mythology, Astronomy and the Greek Alphabet. At six, I've taught her about Heliocentrism, Solar System, Nicolai Copernici, Galileo Galilei and have started on anatomy, mathematics and spelling. At seven, we're playing chess, though recently, to my dismay she has found out what a computer can also be used for: Minecraft! On the positive side, she's used the summer to teach herself English on Youtube. At nine, she started reading books by herself, learned Ulysses by Tennyson off by heart, and assembled a large Revell plastic model of the HMS Victory. At eleven, she entirely sits on her new-found luxury: the iPhone. Oh dieu! At thirteen, she’s learning Japanese, enjoys Manga, and the RAF Air Cadets. She loves drawing and painting and has picked up the collecting bug on Penguin Classics. At fourteen, she's studying the Old Western Culture program by Wes Callihan from Roman Roads Media starting with the Iliad and Odyssey by Homer.
I also try to expose her to ballet, opera, classical music, literature, the occasional museum visit, and of course Shakespeare - she likes the story behind the Danish Prince Hamlet. She also enjoys the new television series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Her favourite artist is Van Gogh, and work Starry Night.
I hope that one day, all of this, will show the fruits of my labour, and that she grows up independent, self-confident, and a self-reliant woman, possessing a strong foundation, morals, and an unconquerable soul, to live by the same code of honour, integrity, and honesty, that I've tried. The world today seems to have forgotten this.
My niece’s LT username is princess1402
- Hertfordshire, England
- Auch auf
- Wird gerade gelesen
- Beliebte Autoren
- Peter Ackroyd, James Boswell, Melvyn Bragg, Apsley Cherry-Garrard, Arthur C. Clarke, Roald Dahl, Richard Dawkins, Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, Edward Gibbon, Ernest Hemingway, T. E. Lawrence, Patrick O'Brian, Samuel Pepys, Simon Schama, William Shakespeare, Robert Louis Stevenson, J. R. R. Tolkien, H. G. Wells
- 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime (That Are Older Than 200 Years), 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up, 40 Books to Read Before You’re 40, BBC Big Read, Classics you know you should have read but probably haven't, The Guardian's 1000 Novels Everyone Must Read, In and About the 1920s
- Lokale Favoriten
Buchhandlungen: Atheneum International Boghandel, Daunt Books - Marylebone, Foyles (old Charing Cross branch), Foyles at St Pancras International, Hatchards, Paludan Bog og Café, Politikens Boghal, The Folio Society
Bibliotheken: British Library
Sonstige: The British Museum
- Africansky1, appaloosaman, astropi, BangkokYankee, BINDINGSTHATLAST, boldface, BorisG, brother_salvatore, bumblesby, Conte_Mosca, DCloyceSmith, Django6924, folio_books, groeng, islandbooks, overthemoon, Pellias, princess1402, Quicksilver66, scholasticus, SilentInAWay, spacmann, Stephan68, terebinth, Texaco, UK_History_Fan, wcarter, ZG53
- Interesante Bibliotheken
- Africansky1, AmanteLibros, AnnieMod, apenguinaweek, BangkokYankee, Betelgeuse, BiblioEva, boldface, bumblesby, Caroline_McElwee, celtic, CharlesDarwin, Conte_Mosca, divinenanny, dlphcoracl, DLSmithies, drasvola, ErnestHemingway, FolioOOP, GalileoGalilei, Geedge, JBD1, jordantaylor, jveezer, kdweber, Maretzo, marilynmonroelibrary, messpots, ocfinebooks, odderi, Osbaldistone, peju.peju, Quicksilver66, rdurie, RichardFrancisBurton, scholasticus, shikari, Sylak, TELawrence, terebinth, ThomasJefferson, timspalding