- Science Fiction (5,483), Fantasy (4,123), Short Fiction (2,387), Rose Library (2,298), Great Library (2,148), Anthology (1,861), Locus Nominee (1,649), Little Library (1,188), Magazine (1,051), Young Adult (1,028), Game Library (1,000), RPG (926), D&D (646), d20 (599), Collection (573), Blogged (528), History (503), 3rd edition D&D (496), Children's Book (408), Sophia's Library (327), Mary Jane (326), Hugo Finalist (251), Hypatia (244), Signed by Author (240), Horror (233), Adventure (232), Prometheus Nominee (216), Science (209), Comic (208), Historical Fiction (203), Mystery (200), Humor (191), Graphic Novel (191), Nebula Nominee (191), U.S. History (188), RPG Tie-In (181), Super-Hero (175), D&D-Based Fiction (174), Locus Winner (158), Myth (155), Review Copy (154), Bookmooched (140), Time Travel (138), TV Tie-In (129), Western (128), Marvel (126), Star Trek (124), Alternate History (124), Mythopoeic Nominee (119), World Fantasy Nominee (112), Forgotten Realms (106), GURPS (99), Omnibus (95), Post-Apocalyptic Fiction (93), Classic (93), Biography (83), Arthurian Myth (83), Military History (81), Campbell Nominee (79), 1st edition AD&D (79), Espionage (77), Law (74), Hugo Winner (72), Shared World (70), Clarke Nominee (69), LibraryThing Early Reviewers (67), DragonLance (65), Satire (65), Capclave 2017 (64), European History (62), World War II (61), Vampire (59), Fairy Tale (57), Dungeon Crawl Classics (57), Greek Myth (55), U.S. Civil War (55), Nebula Winner (53), Reference (53), Capclave 2018 (52), Babylon 5 (52), Board Book (48), Choose Your Own Adventure (47), REP (46), Television (46), Mars (45), Urban Fantasy (45), Literature (44), Writing (42), Prometheus Winner (42), Steampunk (41), British Myth (40), Economics (40), Ancient History (39), Philosophy (39), Dystopian Fiction (38), Capclave 2019 (36), Traveller (36), Movie Tie-In (36), Africa (35), Dictionary (35), Legends & Lairs (34), Time-Life (33), Essays (32), World Fantasy Winner (32), Christian Myth (32), Bestiary (32), Mythopoeic Winner (31), Greyhawk (31), Kalamar (30), Campbell Winner (30), Celtic Myth (30), Known Space (30), Classics of the Old West (29), Signed by Authors (29), Crime (29), Scarred Lands (29), Executioner (29), Foreign Language (28), Christianity (28), Gaslamp Fantasy (28), The Harvard Classics (27), British Literature (27), Techno-Thriller (27), Textbook (27), Politics (26), Astronomy (26), Advance Review Copy (26), Military Fiction (25), DC (25), Poetry (25), Biology (24), Play (23), Tintin (23), Double Novel (23), Casebook (22), Middle-Earth (22), Encyclopedia (22), Encyclopaedia Arcane (22), Native American History (22), Star Wars (21), Eternal Champion (20), Thieves' World (20), Witch World (20), Evolution (19), Gothic Mystery (19), Alliance-Union (19), The Emergence of Man (19), American Literature (19), British History (19), Parallel Universe (18), Mathematics (18), Political Science (18), Roman History (18), For Better or For Worse (17), Romance (17), Dr. Seuss (17), Baseball (16), Shannara (16), Physics (16), Old West (16), Discworld (15), Dilbert (15), Medieval History (15), Norse Myth (15), Pathfinder (15), Welsh Myth (15), Darkover (15), Christian Fiction (14), Religion (14), Xanth (14), LibraryThing Member Giveaway (14), Movie Novelization (14), James Bond (14), 3.5 edition D&D (14), American History (13), Girl Genius (13), Historical Fantasy (13), Warlock of Gramarye (13), Signed by Editor (13), Archaeology (13), World War I (13), Paranormal Romance (13), Cats (13), Foundation (13), Telepathy (12), Complete Guides (12), 2nd edition AD&D (12), Barsoom (12), Cosmology (12), Clarke Winner (12), Autobiography (12), Homer (12), Art (12), Humanx (12), Napoleonic Wars (12), First North Americans (12), Companion Library (12), Dune (12), Calvin and Hobbes (12), Recluce (11), Man-Kzin Wars (11), Berserker (11), Wheel of Time (10), Education (10), Libertarian (10), Freeport (10), Sandman (10), Robots (10), Oz (9), Revolutionary War History (9), 5th edition D&D (9), Grand Tour (9), Ptolus (9), Psionics (9), Asterix (9), Curious George (9), Honor Harrington (9), Narnia (9), Medical Thriller (9), Deryni (9), Transhuman Space (9), Greek History (9), Shower Gift (9), Sports (9), Psychology (9), Office (9), Management (9), International Fantasy Winner (9), Lensman (8), Amber (8), Egyptian Myth (8), Atlas (8), Pern (8), Ender Wiggin (8), Irish Myth (8), Elric (8), Newbery Winner (8), Slayer's Guide (8), Dominic Flandry (8), Gramarye (8), Eberron (8), Christmas (8), Bleeding Edge (7), Guardians of the Flame (7), Encyclopedia Brown (7), International Fantasy Nominee (7), Sembia (7), Mythic Vistas (7), Pulitzer Winner (7), Modern Fiction (7), Parody (7), Known World (7), Leadership (7), Rolemaster (7), Geography (7), Memoir (7), Architecture (7), Harry Potter (7), Uplift (7), Dragonmech (7), Cyberpunk (7), Johnny Dixon (7), Dinosaurs (7), Space (7), Economic History (7), Modern Fantasy (7), Dublin 2019 (7), Conan (6), Arabian Myth (6), Alvin Maker (6), DragonQuest (6), Clancyverse (6), Cookbook (6), Marxism (6), Anthropology (6), U.S. Government (6), Heechee (6), CoDominium (6), Sword of Truth (6), Thomas Covenant (6), Computers (6), Prydain (6), Antebellum History (6), Retief (6), Doctor Who (6), Races of Renown (6), SantaThing (6), Lord of the Rings (6), Master Class (6), Blue Planet (6), Top Secret (6), Commentary (5), Self-Improvement (5), Thriller (5), Dragonstar (5), Alien Invasion (5), Oathbound (5), U.S. Constitution (5), Comedy (5), Winnie the Pooh (5)
- Tag-Wolke, Autoren-Wolke, Tag-Spiegel
- 50 Book Challenge, Ace Doubles, Ancient & Mystic Society of No Homers, Arthurian Legends, Awful Lit., Bloggers, Bookcases: If You Build/Buy Them, They Will Fill, Books off the Shelf Challenge, Bug Collectors, Children's Fiction, Early Science Fiction, FantasyFans, Feminist SF, Flaggers!, For Parents: Raising Readers, Gamers, Historical Fiction, INTPs, Lawyers, New Wave Science Fiction and Fantasy, Northern Virginia LibraryThingers, Read YA Lit, Reviews of Early Reviewers Books, Roleplayers, Science, Science Fiction Fans, Science!, SF, horror and Fantasy Romance, Short Stories Lovers, Star Trek Books, The Green Dragon, Time Travel, Alternate Histories and Parallel Worlds, Used Books, Weird Fiction
- Sep 30, 2008
- Bürgerlicher Name
- Über meine Bibliothek
- If a book is listed in my library here, I own it. I've also read it unless it is marked "to read" even if I may have read it so long ago that I only remember the fact that I read it. If it isn't listed here, that doesn't necessarily mean I haven't read it. I may have read it but don't own the book and therefore it won't show up here.
I'm going to try to review most, if not all of the books listed in my library - but that is a process that will likely take me quite some time to complete. With books ranging from classics of western literature, an entire range of science fiction and fantasy running from pulp to "new wave" to post-cyberpunk, a collection of young adult works, and a pile of role-playing game materials of varying vintage, it is difficult to come up with a single standard for rating and reviewing books that will apply to them all. I'm not going to try. There is no coherent standard that applies to all of these books, so don't look for one.
There is really no way to compare, for example, Milton's Paradise Lost, with Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Cooper's Last of the Mohicans. And this doesn't even begin to consider trying to compare nonfiction and fiction works, and of course, the red-headed stepchild of my library - the collection of role-playing game material. My solution is this: books are rated compared to what I consider to be their peers, and rated according to the standards that I think apply to a book from that group.
In addition, when I review a book, I usually include information about the plot and characters. Though I generally try to only include such spoiler type information to the extent necessary to substantiate what my review says about the book, some people don't like any spoilers at all. To those people I can only say: don't read my reviews.
Also, in my tags I reference several awards, listing many books as either winners, or nominees. These awards are:
Campbell Award: This refers to the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Science Fiction Novel and has been awarded every year since 1973, except in 1994. Recipients are selected by a jury. The award should not be confused with the similarly named John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer.
Clarke Award: This refers to the Arthur C. Clarke Award, a British award given for the best science fiction novel first published in the United Kingdom during the previous year first awarded in 1987. The book is chosen by a panel of judges.
International Fantasy Award: This was an annual literary award for the best science fiction or fantasy book and, in 1951-1953, the best non-fiction book of interest to science fiction and fantasy readers. It was awarded by a panel of prominent fans and professionals in 1951-1955 and 1957.
Hugo Award: This award is given every year for the best science fiction or fantasy works and achievements of the previous year. The award is named after Hugo Gernsback and they have been presented every year since 1955. The attendees of the annual Worldcon vote for nominees and choose the winner. There have been a handful of "retroactive Hugos" handed out.
Locus Award: This award has been given since 1971 to provide guidance to the Hugo Award judges, these awards are presented to winners of Locus Magazine's annual readers' poll at an annual banquet.
Mythopoeic Award: Awards for literature and literary studies are given by the Mythopoeic Society to authors of outstanding works in the fields of myth, fantasy, and the scholarly study of these areas.
Nebula Award: This is an award given each year by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) for the best science fiction or fantasy fiction published in the United States during the two previous years. The award is voted on by SFWA members and has been presented since 1965.
Newbery Award: The John Newbery Medal is a literary award given by the Association for Library Service to Children of the American Library Association (ALA) to the author of the outstanding American book for children. The award has been given since 1922.
Prometheus Award: This award for libertarian science fiction novels is given out annually by the Libertarian Futurist Society. The award was founded in 1979, but was not awarded regularly until 1982. A Hall of Fame Award (for classic works of libertarian science fiction, not necessarily novels) was created in 1983, and the Society also presents occasional one-off awards.
World Fantasy Award: An annual international award given to authors and artists who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in the field of fantasy. They have been given since 1975 and are handed out at the World Fantasy Convention. Winners are chosen by a panel of judges.
- Über mich
- Father of three, lawyer, collector and reader of books. Science fiction and fantasy form the core of my collection, but I've got a wide variety of other books too. I'm a Tiger (Woodberry Forest School), a Cavalier (the University of Virginia), and a Patriot (George Mason University School of Law), for whatever that is worth.
I blog at Dreaming About Other Worlds.
"I cannot live without books." – Thomas Jefferson
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write." - John Adams
"Books are awesome." - Frozone
What Kind of Reader Are You? Your Result: Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm You're probably in the final stages of a Ph.D. or otherwise finding a way to make your living out of reading. You are one of the literati. Other people's grammatical mistakes make you insane.
What Kind of Reader Are You? Quiz Created on GoToQuiz
- Reston, Virginia
- Auch auf
- Wird gerade gelesen
- Death Rays and the Popular Media, 1876-1939: A Study of Directed Energy Weapons in Fact, Fiction and Film von William J. Fanning Jr.
- Beliebte Autoren
- Lloyd Alexander, Poul Anderson, Isaac Asimov, Stephen Baxter, John Bellairs, Gregory Benford, Alfred Bester, David Brin, John Brunner, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Orson Scott Card, C. J. Cherryh, Arthur C. Clarke, Susan Cooper, Bernard Cornwell, Roald Dahl, Samuel R. Delany, Phil Foglio, Neil Gaiman, Ursula K. Le Guin, Joe Haldeman, Robert A. Heinlein, Frank Herbert, A. S. King, Nancy Kress, Madeleine L'Engle, C. S. Lewis, Patricia A. McKillip, Michael Moorcock, Larry Niven, Andre Norton, Naomi Novik, Frederik Pohl, Jerry Pournelle, Robert Silverberg, Edward E. Smith, J. Michael Straczynski, J. R. R. Tolkien, Harry Turtledove, John Varley, James White, Gene Wolfe, Roger Zelazny
- aethercowboy, AMZoltai, andyl, AngelicaHarris, AsYouKnow_Bob, Atomicmutant, clamairy, ClaudiaMoscovici, csmaccath, darrow, DWWilkin, EdwardEinhorn, fitzwater, Gabriel_F, Jesse_wiedinmyer, jimroberts, jordantaylor, Joseph_Scifres, KeithFowler, MarkMcLaughlin, MyBookishWays, NCSE, nwhyte, paradoxosalpha, RexDart, Robyn_Bradshaw, Rvn6dlr, SeanJQuirk, southernbooklady, spacecommuter, stezton, Sundry, theoldman, tomdoyle, yapete
- Interesante Bibliotheken
- .Monkey., ablachly, AlanPoulter, AletheaKontis, AlmaK, Amsa1959, AngelaB86, angrystarlyt, AnnieMod, AntAllan, Audacity88, avatiakh, Beezie, bethpresswood, bookluvrmindy, Bookmarque, branadain, buchleser, Buzzregog, calm, catfantastic, Cecrow, cirdan747, csmaccath, cthulhuslibrarian, DanieXJ, darrow, DaynaRT, DragonFreak, DWWilkin, EchelonPressLLC, EmScape, Enamoredsoul, Engnova, flouncyninja, Glassglue, Goldengrove, iansales, indigo7, internisus, jamietr, jbenny57, jigj119, jimroberts, jordantaylor, JustinTheLibrarian, justjim, kassetra, klarusu, kroseman, Larou, LawrenceMSchoen, leennnadine, LizzieD, Locke, LouBriccant, macha, majkia, Maladee, mellymel171328, mhatchett, mmignano11, Moses_Siregar_III, mothshade, nilsr, OldSarge, PandorasRequiem, pdp, Powerslave214, prosfilaes, psybre, rameau, RandyStafford, reading_fox, RebeccaAnn, rolandperkins, ronincats, saltmanz, Schehezerade, scoutlee, sirfurboy, sparksflyup, Spunkypineapple, stevetempo, stezton, sweetiegherkin, TerryMcCarthy, TimothyBurke, tomdoyle, usnmm2, wendyrey, whitewavedarling, yapete
Diese Seite verwendet Cookies für unsere Dienste, zur Verbesserung unserer Leistungen, für Analytik und (falls Sie nicht eingeloggt sind) für Werbung. Indem Sie LibraryThing nutzen, erklären Sie dass Sie unsere Nutzungsbedingungen und Datenschutzrichtlinie gelesen und verstanden haben. Die Nutzung unserer Webseite und Dienste unterliegt diesen Richtlinien und Geschäftsbedingungen.